Accident Reporting FAQs

Our accident reporting FAQs detail frequently asked questions and tailored answers related to workplace accidents.

What is a workplace accident?

The HSE defines an accident as a ‘separate, identifiable, unintended incident, which causes physical injury’. Under RIDDOR, the work activity itself must contribute to the accident.

What are the legal requirements for accident reporting?

Under RIDDOR, it is a legal requirement to report certain incidents to the enforcing authorities (HSE). These certain incidents and injuries can be found on the HSE’s website.

Why should I report workplace accidents or incidents?

Under the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 2013 (RIDDOR), it is a legal requirement to report certain accidents or incidents arising out of work. Certain incidents need to be reported to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) for statistical purposes and to undertake an investigation. The HSE has listed those reportable incidents.

Other reasons to report workplace accidents or incidents include:

  • Identifying hazards and risks from near-misses to reduce the likelihood of future incidents.
  • Acts as a record if there is a legal dispute over a workplace accident.
  • Allows enforcing authorities to provide advice and guidance on reducing accidents and incidents.
  • Lead to an investigation and potential enforcement action.


Failing to have a reporting process in place or reporting a prescribed accident or illness can lead to a prosecution.

When should I report a workplace accident?

Accidents should only be reported to the HSE if they are classed as a ‘reportable incident’ under RIDDOR. These reportable incidents are listed here.

A report must be received within 10 days of the incident, except for accidents resulting in an over-seven-day incapacitation of a worker which must be reported within 15 days.

What are the reportable injuries under RIDDOR?

The reportable incidents and injuries under the RIDDOR regulations include:

  • Work-related deaths
  • Specified injuries to workers – these include fractures (other than to fingers, thumbs and toes), amputations, loss or reduction of sight, or internal organ damage from crush injuries. The full list of specified injuries can be found here.
  • Over-seven-day incapacitation of a worker.
  • Injuries to non-workers in the workplace that require hospital admittance.
  • Occupational diseases – these include carpal tunnel syndrome, occupational dermatitis and hand-arm vibration syndrome.
  • Dangerous occurrences – certain, specific near-miss events.
  • Gas incidents.

What information needs to be included on an accident report?

The information required on a RIDDOR accident report includes:

  • Name of the injured person
  • Address of the injured person
  • Job Title of the injured person
  • Date the incident occurred
  • Description of the incident – what caused it, injury that occurred, care to the person after the incident, vital signs after the incident.
  • People who witnessed the accident
  • Cause of the accident and resulting actions to eliminate / reduce the risks

Should I report an incident if no-one was hurt?

Incidents must be reported to the HSE if they are classified as reportable under RIDDOR. If the incident doesn’t fall under the criteria then it does not need reporting to the HSE however management of other accidents, incidents and ill-health need to be recorded and investigated for internal purposes and in the event of civil claims.

How do I report a workplace accident or incident?

Reports to the HSE can either be made online via telephone (0845 300 9923). Reports must only be made for reportable incidents or injuries.

Who should report a workplace accident?

Under RIDDOR, it is the employer, self-employed people or the ‘Responsible Person’ which are required to report serious workplace accidents, diseases and dangerous occurrences.