Food Allergy Awareness
An allergy to certain foods and ingredients can pose a significant risk to workers and consumers as can be seen in recent cases where the consequences have been fatal.
There is legislation and extensive guidance in place to help food manufacturing, preparation and serving businesses to control the risks from food allergies. Training and refresher training forms an important part of the controls as well as safe systems of work.
The course takes the learner through the background and importance of understanding what the 14 defined allergens are, how they are labelled and what they are expected to do.
What are the benefits?
- Comply with legislation and guidance for food safety.
- Knowledge of appropriate precautions.
- Familiarity with different allergens and intolerances.
- Online training course conducted at your own pace – no prior experience required.
- IOSH Approved, CPD Certified and SCORM Compliant training.
Who is it for?
This awareness course is ideal for managers, supervisors and workers who need to understand the risks associated with the preparation, packaging, handling and serving of foods where the ingredients may cause harm to the consumer.
The duration of this eLearning course is 15 minutes.
Our accreditations mean you can be confident that we deliver high-quality, effective eLearning that forms part of a professional development programme.
We pride ourselves on our extensive certification and accreditation. We’re CPD Certified and this course is SCORM compliant which means it can be integrated as part of your existing LMS or used as part of our SHINE learning management system.
Learn more about our health and safety accreditations.
Start your learning adventure
Created by experts. IOSH Approved. CPD Certified. Our fire, health and safety courses support your compliance training needs. We offer flexible eLearning options. Buy individual courses now and start learning. Or simply call us to discuss group discounts and enterprise pricing options.
Buy now – individual course
- Fully interactive – online learning
- Certified training – created by experts
- Perfect for smaller businesses and sole traders starting out
Call us – volume discount
- Save money – volume discounts
- Control – central dashboard
- Reporting – monitor training progress
- Ideal for mid-sized SMEs needing to deploy training at scale
Call us – Enterprise pricing
- Bespoke – tailored to your needs
- Comprehensive – over 50 courses
- Support – 1-2-1 account management
- Perfect for larger businesses needing a wide variety of training
Aims of the course
To enable food handlers, as well as Managers, Supervisors and Waiters/Waitresses to ensure that the food they manufacture, prepare, sell or serve is safe for consumers who have food allergies or intolerances.
At the end of the course learners will be able to:
- Understand what food allergies, food intolerances and Coeliac disease are and their differences.
- Recognise the effects on the body, including the symptoms of an allergic reaction.
- Understand the legal requirements for allergen labelling and the provision of information on the allergen content of food.
- Be familiar with the 14 allergens that must be labelled or indicated as being present in foods.
- Know the requirements for labelling pre-packaged ingredients and be able to identify food allergens from the label.
- Identify means for effectively communicating allergen information for non-prepacked food and pre-packed foods for direct sale.
- Take appropriate precautions to prevent cross-contamination with allergens in the receipt of ingredients and food deliveries.
- Take appropriate precautions to prevent cross-contamination through good hygiene practices during storage and preparation.
- Introduction – Food allergies and intolerances, legislation, information and cross-contamination.
- Food allergies and intolerances – Types of food allergy, symptoms of a food allergy, Anaphylaxis
- Legislation – Retained EU food information for consumers regulation, 14 allergens
- Pre-packed – pre-packed for direct sale and loose foods, allergen labelling for pre-packed food. Ingredients list requirements.
- Provision of information for other foods – Loose foods, allergen information folder, records, distance selling, pre-packed foods for direct sale
- Handling food allergens – Managing allergenic ingredients, cross-contamination, training of food handlers.
Download our Food Allergy Awareness course brochure
Fully interactive. Clear and simple. Created by experts.
How is it delivered?
Food Allergy awareness can be delivered online or through a computer network to their desktop or laptop or a device. The training can be completed at the learner’s own pace by ‘book marking’ and recording progress and returning to the training at a later stage.
In delivering the training in this way the normal costs of training are reduced whilst still achieving the desired awareness and compliance with the organisation’s legal responsibilities.
SHINE – compliance record keeping
The Praxis42 Digital Platform SHINE is our advanced Learning Management System and helps organisations deliver effective online learning for their employees.
A cost-effective tool for compliance record-keeping SHINE allows you to view and manage employee training records easily. Individual training certificates can be printed as proof of compliance for audits or visits from enforcing authorities.
What our clients say
From national pub chains to global insurance, our clients value our expertise and service.
Need further food safety courses? Explore similar courses from our library.